The Smart Cycling Program is a great opportunity to learn how to ride your bike safely! The program is offered in 2 sessions. A 3 hr Classroom Session orients you to best cycling practices, followed by a ~6 hr Road Session where you put what you learned in the classroom to practice. The curriculum is certified by the League of American Bicyclists (LAB) and taught across the USA. Your instructors have been certified by the LAB to teach Smart Cycling.
Classroom Session I:
This is a 3-hour session, some offered virtually and others in person – please check each class for how it is run. This session is a pre-requisite for the Smart Cycling Road Session II. During this class we cover:
- Bicycling and the law
- Crashes and how to avoid them
- How to drive your bike safely in a variety of road, traffic, and weather conditions day or night.
Road Session II:
This 6-hour in person class is for students who have completed the Classroom Session I. It includes:
- Parking lot drills where you will increase your bike handling skills and learn some emergency maneuvers to avoid motor vehicle collisions.
- Riding on a variety of local streets and bike paths while practicing proper lane positioning and performing safe and legal turning maneuvers.
- About 12 miles of riding with frequent stops. Casual riding pace so feel free to dress for comfort, not for long distance riding.
- A multiple choice exam at the end of the class (available in English or Spanish) and a Certificate of Completion is awarded to graduates.
- For youth under 16, we require that a parent or guardian also register and complete the class along with the youth, and all youth under 18 must have a parent or guardian drop them off, and sign a waiver.
- We highly recommend that parents take this class with their child so they can both learn the skills and road rules.
- There is no listed age limit for participating in this in-person class, but we will be riding on roads and in areas without bike lanes, so children must be mature, strong rider and good listeners.
- Electric bikes are welcome.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Smart Cycling Class Schedule and Registration Links
Smart Cycling is taught by the SD County Bike Coalition monthly and alternates between venues in Oceanside and Mira Mesa. Other classes are scheduled as needed. Currently all classes are offered free courtesy of grants from the City of Oceanside and through the SD County Bike Coalition. All participants receive free membership with the Coalition, entitling them to monthly communications and other member privileges.
In consideration of COVID-19 safety, some of the Classroom Session I classes are still offered virtual via Zoom. The Road Session II is again offered in person. See the schedule below and more info for each class regarding COVID-19 protocols.
Click on the date of your preferred class to register.
A minimum of 6 students is required for each session. If the minimum is not met, students may be moved to a later class.
Classroom Session I, 6pm - 9pm
Road Session II, 9am - 3pm
Bicycle Instructors wanted!
Interested in taking your skills to the next level with the League of American Bicyclists Certified Instructor Training?
The next LCI Seminar in San Diego will be held summer of 2023.
Practice your road skills at home!
There are some essential maneuvers that you’ll learn during your Smart Cycling Session II class.
Check out the video links below to learn more about these skills and practice at home!